Thread: Recalled/Assigned: 2013 Dallas Stars Roster Movement
View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I'm not going to celebrate the coach being forced to make the right decisions through attrition of options.
You're making a bold and likely false assumption here. Oleksiak wasn't demoted to force Gully to do anything. We have nothing to indicate that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I think the majority of us can agree that despite the occasional mistakes he might have made, Oleksiak in the Top 6 right now makes the team better. Developmental-wise, he's going to benefit greatly from playing 20+ minutes a night in every situation. Keeping him in the NHL right now to me is a sign they want to win at all costs. If anything, this move signifies at least in some instances they are going to thing first about the future rather than W's and L's to make a decision. I honestly think Oleksiak would have been fine in the NHL the rest of the year, but I also think he'll develop just as well being a #1 D on the best team in the AHL.
Bringing Oleksiak up was great for this team and for him. It let him see the differences between the AHL where he was playing well and the NHL. Without the real training camp and preseason, Oleksiak was not able to even get a taste of how much stronger and faster NHL players are. He came up and played a pretty limited role -- not a lot of minutes and no meaningful special teams play.

Now, Oleksiak has seen the NHL, and he has also seen that he can keep up. It should be a huge confidence boost. He will be able to go back to the AHL, play huge minutes, and play special teams minutes all while knowing that he has what it takes.

This call up had to accelerate his growth. If calling him up meant Larsen got scratched a few games, I'm entirely indifferent. Between the two, Oleksiak's development takes priority every time, but it was a short interruption for Larsen. Larsen will now get a bunch of playing time, and his development is no worse for wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
The only thing I care about this year honestly is the young guys developing, and that happens with them playing games.
Not me. I'm tired of playing for two years from now. Not saying Cup or bust or anything like that, but I also don't want the team to give away games all to let some kids get extra playing time.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote