View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 09:17 AM
tank44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
the NHL isn't as interested in Seattle, unless an owner steps forward which has been rumored even when Bellevue collapsed (Levin), MO, AND even then, say it is Levin, then we go through the same protacted review that Chipman/Thomson did when acquiring Atlanta, w/o relinquishing the franchise they built prior to that....

keep in mind, if there's no NBA team in Seattle, the arena for SODO is just that a proposal.
I am thinking/hoping that this is a behind the scenes negotiations as has most of the SODO arena negotiations have been. The MOU states that Hansen's group has considerable financial contributions (40% of overall public money) if NHL comes. They do not get that money if there isn't NHL. Hansen's group came out to bring back the Sonics but NHL has been a part of the deal from the beginning. They kept quiet about how they were getting NBA until recently. Once the Kings (or other are concerned) I could see the NHL wheels moving into high gear as soon as the NBA is confirmed to come to Seattle.

In the best scenario, NBA team would be an expansion team and NHL would be relocation to get the best fan support for both teams. Unfortunately relocation of an NBA team and expansion by NHL is more likely at present. I am still holding on to the hope that the Coyotes move to Seattle and NHL cleans up with huge $$$ form expansion to Quebec & Toronto2. Seattle group wouldn't come close to the $$ as those two Canadian cities would provide.