View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
Most of the DEL teams -and Mannheim is included in this list IMHO- don't give jack **** about their own junior players and barely play them, if at all. Instead, they try to lure some wannabe with stone hands to Germany, who might potentially get a double citizenship due to a German Shepherd sleeping in their houses. I've seen many young players come and go -some undeniably gifted with potentially NHL-level talent- and not getting a chance to play in the German Elite League due to the tendency of going with the more reliable player in a more-or-less proven veteran player from NA.

I wish I could go into more detail, but I'm short on time right now due to exams, but I'll definitely get back to this sometime next week and point out the 10 major flaws of our youth development.
Well, I'm looking forward to hearing about that potential "NHL-level talent" that's being wasted. I strongly disagree with that. German teams enjoy having good Germans. With the limitations to foreigners (even at a still relatively large number), the good German DEL-calibre players are very expensive. Getting young ones that can contribute a little is big, for almost all teams. But the reality is that there isn't a ton of DEL-level, let alone NHL-level talent coming up constantly. The actually talented players, as you rightfully said yourself, head to NA to give themselves the best chances for a great career. I don't think young players are mistreated, in that sense. They aren't getting great coaching, but outside of Mannheim and Berlin, there's no money in junior coaching, so what would one expect.

The biggest problem for young players is the gap between juniors (DNL) and the pro level. Then you have the huge difference between 1st division and the DEL. It takes most of even the decent talents a huge amount of time to get acclimated to the pro game and to get ready to positively contribute in the league. But it's a competetive league, so teams have to look out for their wins. There's just no system in place that makes a transition for the young guys remotely ready. Teams are starting to look into how to handle things most effectively with all kinds of loans, but at the end of the day, that doesn't change the gaps, which few can take on at an early age. Most Germans growing into key roles at their clubs can't take those before turning 25.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote