Old
02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Hopefully the Tokarski trade means we won't have to use a 2nd rounder on a goalie.
I don't see any relation here. There is 5 years between a drafted goalie and Tokarski. We have 3 2nds and it should still be the "default plan" to use one of them on a goalie. Tokarski will be gone - be it to NHL or elsewhere on his pro hockey journey - by the time a prospect drafted this year even enters the AHL.

But that said, you still have to have your rankings, and if there is a stack of Collbergs or whoever whom you might have rated much higher sliding down to you with your 2nds, the "default plan" may not be executed.

What Tokarski may affect for me is the additional plan to sign an older free agent goalie prospect. But I would continue with this year's evaluation of the pro goalie group first... see how Tokarski plays, see if any new hope is earned by Mayer. If Tokarski is so good that we start to see him as a real candidate to replace Budaj, that opens room. But at the other end of the spectrum too, if he's unimpressive, we may also still be looking at signing another pro goalie prospect signing. In no case would it affect my desire to draft an 18-year old goalie this summer, though.