View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 10:37 AM
MNNumbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
LOL... Don't have to be satisfying me, MNN. But thanks anyway for the consideration.

But ok, let's look at this on two levels, sincerely considering a 4-"Division" structure, and 8-team Divisions, which is the ultimate result, plus a scheduling structure...

If somehow, with 4-Divisions, the scheduling structure could still have 6 games against Division opponents, then:
42 games = 6 x 7
48 games = 2 x 24
90 games
That just doesn't work! 4-Divisions nor 4-Conferences. And with the 4-Conferences, that's more than 1/2 the games outside the Conference where teams are competing in the Standings. So, on a 4-Conference level, it doesn't work or make sense.

So what other options exist? Still with the 4-Divisions as the first priority.
28 games = 4 x 7
48 games = 2 x 24
76 games
Hmmm, there's still 6 games left over (I'd also still consider the possibility of 84 games MAX in a 32-team league, so that could be 8 more games).
So yes, as you said above, that could be 1 extra game against teams in the other in-Conference Division. But still, as you said, I don't think an odd number of games, against teams that are directly competing against each other in the Standings, would be a good thing. So in fact, one could argue that such a scheduling format might be better with 4-Conferences, the teams in each Conference getting 6-8 teams outside the Conference in which it plays an extra game against. BUT HELL, wait,... Teams would already be laying more than 1/2 the games outside the Conference. Regardless of where you put those minimum 6 other games, the number of games outside the Conference is already totally out of whack Conference Standings realities. (*I'm thinking that this is a big part of what the PA aren't happy with.)

So, back to the drawing board...
It looks as though those 2-games against all teams in the League is a problem. So, let's go for at least 2 games against at least 3/4 of the League:
28 games = 4 x 7
32 games = 2 x 16
8 games = 1 x 8
That leaves us with 14 - 16 games (again considering the possibility of an 84-game Season with 32 teams).
So another 2 games against another 8 teams, and voila... there is an 84-game Season with 4 games against teams in two Divisions, 2 games against teams in one Division, and 1 game against teams in the other Division. Now of course, those 2 games and 1 game against wouldn't have to be strictly Divisional, it could be just 2 games against random teams and 1 game against 8 random teams. And if the League doesn't want 84 games, then it could be 2 games against 6 teams and 1 game against 10 teams.

Now, that worked out, but could there be another option?
There's this:
42 games = 6 x 7
32 games = 2 x 16
8 games = 1 x 8
82 games
There you have it. The perfect 4-Conference scheduling format

I still choose the previous one, and you know why. I don't want 4-Conferences. I don't want a top-4, I want a Top-8. I don't want a minimum two Rounds of Divisional/Conference Playoffs; I want one Round of Divisional matchups, nothing more. (Of course, who cares what I want, right.) But furthermore, I don't think that such a structure is beneficial to PT/MTZ teams, cutting them off from primary important games with CT/ETZ teams and the TV audiences in those areas.

Now 4-by alignment is a whole other issue, with another group of possible gripes.
More:

I suspect what you would really like (and, I don't think it will ever fly....) is:

2 16 team conferences in 2 8-team divisions:

4 x 15 in your own conference = 60

Leaves 22 or 24 games (24 works perfect here, but it could be tweaked a little)

Opposite conference:
2 x 8 = 16
1 x 8 = 8
=24

If you want 22, just cut the 16 to 14 and do a little more rotating.

But it won't fly unless there is some way to get half of the league or more to be out of the ETZ. Right now, that doesn't seem to be in the cards....

Now, what if there were only 30 teams??

Then,
4 x 14 = 56
2 x 15 = 30
=86.

That's too many games by 4. So, cut that down to:
2 x 10 = 20 +
1 x 5 = 5 using some geographical grouping that stays constant (like a remnant of the current divisions - it doesn't matter, really)
And then add 1 game back among those teams. This takes 15 years to even out, but in no case would any one be more than one game off.

MNNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote