View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I want Oreilly more than anything. But I don't see how the Sabres can give up Sekera.

The free agent market for defensemen sucks this year...
Myers and Ehrhoff would be the only guys under contract
Weber and Brennan would be low level RFA who are depth at best.
Pysyk would be our own potential farm solution after the trade.

Leaves us in a really bad place... where our only hope is a trade, where we;d have to give up a quality asset just to get someone to replace Sekera...

I'd much rather give up the quality asset to get Oreilly
Not only that, but they'd have to find a top-6 RW in free agency--I hope they don't believe Armia is the answer at age 20--or move Vanek to RW, thereby breaking up Vanek-Poms. Looking at the RW UFA pool, Selanne is likely to retire; Iginla, Jagr and Alfie (if he plays) will look to go to Cup contenders if they don't stay with their teams; Semin, who we'll never sign if Darcy/Lindy are still here; which leaves us with: Perry, Horton, or Ryder. Perry is a pipe dream, because I just don't see him coming to a losing team in Buffalo when he can get big money in a nice city from a team closer to competing than we are. Horton will probably be overpaid, and he'd be a tough get, too, because he'll be in demand. So we may have to overpay for Michael Ryder.

The trade I proposed looks fine in a vacuum until you start considering how many holes it puts on the roster.