View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
The one thing you're overlooking is Moulson's weakness also hurts the Isles in the offensive zone. Because he lacks the drive or passion to battle and forecheck, the Islanders lose offensive zone time and have to rely on JT to makeup for Moulson's soft play. That should not fall on JT, JT is the superstar and he needs the support, not Moulson.

I also think that's why people have been asking for more of a grinder to go on that top line, so tavares and [x] can do the grinding while moulson does his thing.

This is way off. There should be a grinder and (x) so Tavares can do his thing. Tavares will be a much more prolific scorer with support. The idea isn't to build around Moulson, it's to build around Tavares and make him the focus.
This is a great point, but as long as Moulson continues to light the lamp - he's going to be on that line. I do think that Tavares has outgrown Moulson now though. In the past, Moulson was a bit of a security blanket for JT and really helped ease his transition to the NHL. I know a lot of us were surprised with his playmaking ability and which was definitely helped by Moulson being such an excellent finisher.

Now, JT is more like the player we drafted back in 2009. He's a puck possession machine who attacks the net continually. He generates tons of chances and he's one of the few players in this league that can generate 300+ SOG per season. That's a recipe for elite goal scoring success in the NHL, you have to shoot it to score. I used to think he'll be a consistent 40+ guy with an occasional 50 year thrown in, but I think he could surpass 50 multiple times now. He'll need a reconfiguration of his linemates to do it though. Guys that can do the dirty work and get him the puck with time and space - he's challenging for the Richard trophy for many seasons.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote