View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 12:02 PM
SavageSteve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Could be because there selling 4 seats 4 rinks and 4 hotdogs for 124 bucks..

WHy do sellouts actually matter. I have no idea how long you have been following the team but there are many iof use that have struggled through the building of the fanbase. The first couple of years attendance was great then it wained and we almost lost the team. This is not the NFL where a team moves every 20 years, And those that are niave enough to think it can not happen ask the folks from the Thrashers that now support our team... Some of those people have endured losing a team twice. So your damn right I feel like I can *****. And if anyone who thinks the good times can't change fast just look at the history, For years you had a hard time to get Vol's or Titian tickets, heck even NASCA tickets at Bristol had a 5 year waiting period for season tickets, But now if you have the money and the interest you can catch any of those events. It is short sighted and a little arrogant to think it can't happen to a hockey team in a small market with a history of attendance problems. But the again there is a segment of folks that just are oblivious and enjoy the moment and if things change they find another hobby. We call those bandwagon fans.
Byrddog I do agree with many of your points and have to say that I think that management is pretty cognoscent of those points in how they reach out to folks that attend games via data mining and by the staff being visible, hospitable, and engaging at every opportunity given (or so how I've been treated in the 300's). I've gotten several calls and e-mails to see if I am getting value for my tickets etc. over the last few years just for showing up through the turnstiles. Sean Henry has given me beers when I renewed my season tickets. Both of my kids did the GOAL program. I could cite many more examples; but the key to keeping things up is giving people value for their involvement and investment in being a fan. Basically like the restaurant business, people come for the product but usually return again because of the hospitality long after the taste has left. If the service sucks, we remember that far more than a good meal. We all get ripped off at the concession stands of every stadium; but if you feel less ripped off by adding things like the recent additions they did (ie bacon on a stick, hot chicken, etc.) and you remember it as much as the event especially if your treated with respect when you order it.

Plus we also have to give props to all of the scalpers out there that buy the seats with an expectation that they MIGHT sell them. They are taking a risk that the market will bear fruit and have a vested interest that the team does well in all aspects too. Many might look at them as parasites; but I also realistically see them as a very good barometer of how the team is really doing. However, digital ticketing may just cover that visible barometer up too...