View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 12:15 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Here's a crazy thought:

What if the Rangers traded Gaborik at the draft for futures. Say to Detroit for their 1st '13 + 1st '14 + prospect or something like that.

That opens up 7.5 million for next year. If the Rangers were to pursue Getzlaf in free agency, who would fit in this system MUCH better than Gaborik and with the overall team identity. Getzlaf plays with Nash. Richards with Callahan. Stepan is the 3rd line center.

After the 2013-2014 season if Richards hasn't picked it up buy him out without the fear of not having a #1 center.

I know it seems a little crazy and I am not saying I am totally for it, but it makes for an interesting discussion IMO as Getzlaf is much more suited to this Rangers style of play AND he adds much needed size and skill to the top-6.
I'm just throwing this out there, but it seems to me like every UFA we want is going to be "MUCH better" than whoever is on the team now until we get them, then they're underwhelming, and we start salivating about the next one who is DEFINITELY going to fit better. I'm not sure Getzlaf is the answer. I think a lot of the desire for him comes from the fact that we don't have him.