Thread: Speculation: Ray Shero at Min vs. Col
View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 02:24 PM
OCPenguin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
The answer to your question is rather easy, and i'm not sure why no one has taken the time to answer it.

Their are a couple reasons Seto keeps showing up on these boards in trade proposals.
1)He isn't really a great fit on our team, but would seem to fit perfect on Pittsburgh. In our lineup he is being put in a position where he is expected to be the primary scoring threat on his line. That's not a role that he excels at. He has a good shot, good north/south speed and seems to have developed a bit of grit this year. But he's not a guy that should be counted on to be driving the play. In Pittsburgh, either on the first or second line he would not be depended on to drive the play. That's what Malkin and Crosby are for, and he could be a hell of an attribute to either of them on their line. So the trade to Pittsburgh makes sense given they have the need for a top 6 forward and primary play makers on each line.

2)Another reason Wild fans keep throwing him out there, and to a lesser extent PMB and Clutterbuck is because most Wild fans are chomping at the bit to get the youngsters in the lineup and PMB and Seto aren't in the long term plans of the franchise. Zucker, Coyle and Johan Larsson are all either ready already(won't know til they actually get their shot) or knocking on the door. But we don't have any room in the lineup for them at the moment. Getting rid of a roster forward gives us a chance to move one up(or rotate the spot based on who is deserving at the moment/takes control).

3)Also saw a different post where you said someone was saying the Wild were stacked at D prospects. Not sure who said that, but they are wrong. We have two very high end prospects in Brodin and Dumba. After that anyone else in the system is probably a 6th/7th D at best(possible exception of Cuma who has an outside shot of being a 4 if he stays healthy). One more D prospect with top 4 potential would be extremely helpful.
I appreciate your response. Finally, I do get an answer. I will agree to disagree with Seto being a good value pickup based on the opinions of what it would take to get him (he isn't worth a first, a Despres or Kunitz, or a top D prospect as it stands now). I would prefer, Clutterbuck. If not, PMB. You get him for cheap based on his injury history (say a second rounder at best) and the fact he is a UFA at the end of the season. If he works out, you can resign him in the offseason. If he is a bust, you don't resign him and aren't stuck with a salary.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote