View Single Post
02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Guys don't post multiple 50 goal seasons from a "checking line".

They were a 2nd line and a two way line if anything.

And Gare was primarily on the offensive part of the two way in my estimation.

So is being the offensive guy on a second line that was also good defensively really that much different a situation individually than being the defensive conscience of a line that was mostly used for offense?

All that said, would I want Rousseau on a front line in this? Not unless the circumstances were very unique indeed.
Gare referred to them as the checking line himself:

After registering 31 goals and helping Buffalo to the Cup finals as a rookie in 1974-75, Gare took his game to a higher level in his second season. Despite playing on Buffalo's checking line, Gare scored 50 goals.

"I think one of the biggest memories I have is obviously being a young player in my second year here and playing on a checking line withxxx and Craig Ramsay. We were a checking line and we always played against the top lines. And I remember going into my last game against the Toronto Maple Leafs with 47 goals and we were checking the Darryl Sittler, Lanny McDonald and xxx line. And I was just hoping to maybe get a sniff at 50 and fortunately for myself I got three that night and got my 50th goal. So that was a big thrill to get 50 goals in your second year and especially the type of position I was in, like I mentioned, the checking line."

It's entirely possible to be a top 6 line and still be the checking line, look no further than the line Bobby Rousseau is on for Mark's team.

In year two, Gare joined xxx and Craig Ramsey on the club's checking line. They played a great two-way game as Gare tallied his first 50-goal season.

Gare blossomed in his second NHL season. Despite playing on what was widely regarded as a checking line with xxx and Craig Ramsey, Gare scored a hat trick in the final game of the season to give him a team leading 50 goals.

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 02-15-2013 at 02:45 PM.