View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think he earned his ice time last night. He was one of the few forwards who really seemed engaged on every shift.

Cally shouldn't be on his wing, but where else is he going to play with Stepan/Nash and Richards/Gaborik as our C/RW combinations? He's not comfortable on the left, so unless we find a 3rd line center who he can gel with and move Boyle to wing or the 4th line, I don't see an alternative.
I don't know, he took a bunch of shots, most of which didn't really result in serious scoring chances. He landed a lot of hits, I guess. He was on the ice for the Boyes goal, and I thought he was way too aggressive against a phenomenal puckhandling and skating defenseman in Visnovsky, took himself out of position, and wasn't there to help out on the play that resulted in the Boyes goal.

The problem I have with a guy like Boyle is that no matter how hard he plays, no matter how engaged he is . . . what comes of it? The best you get from him is the kind of thing you want or are happy with from your fourth line: Keeping the puck pinned in the other team's zone. You expect some offensive contributions from your third line. You need them if you're a top team.

Absolutely, I believe Boyle needs to be moved to the 4th line. Unfortunately, with Richards and Stepan not exactly playing their best, the club can't afford to use Callahan in a role that will diminish his offensive production. They need it.

The team needs a real third line center. Miller needs to go back to Hartford where he can continue his development. It might be time to make a move for a player that is responsible defensively but can contribute more offensively than Boyle.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote