View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Just some quips about O'Reilly I wanted to share from TSN & Cullen because I feel a lot are misinformed about O'Reilly and how good he really is;

Quote:
A few frames of reference for O'Reilly's early-career production:

First, he played more than 2500 minutes through his first two seasons. Since 2000, there have been six other forwards to play that much as 18 and 19-year-olds and it's pretty good company: Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, Ilya Kovalchuk, Jordan Staal, Jeff Skinner and Sam Gagner.

I chose 65 points as a threshold because, in 2011-2012, that would have ranked among the top 15 NHL centres in scoring. (There are some players incorrectly cited as centres in that link.)

There is some notion out there that Ryan O'Reilly isn't a number one centre because he's not going to score 100 points. Let's be clear, there are less than a handful of 100-point centres in the league and two of them play in Pittsburgh. There are a handful more who might consistently score a point-per-game and, after that, there is a larger group, with more variance from year to year, that may put up between 55 and 75 points.

If O'Reilly falls into that group, given his defensive value and the consistently tough matchups he takes on, it's hard to imagine that he doesn't warrant the status of a No. 1 centre.

Maybe he's not a No. 1 centre in the Sidney Crosby or Steven Stamkos sense, but how about in the Patrice Bergeron or David Backes mold, productive offensive players who consistently face the opponent's best lines, start more shifts in the defensive zone and control 200 feet of ice?
Goes on;

Quote:
Taking a couple of reasonably-priced assets, maybe plus a draft pick for good measure, from any of the following might be enough to appeal to the Avalanche;

N.Y. Islanders (Josh Bailey, Kyle Okposo, Nino Niederreiter, Brock Nelson, Aaron Ness, Griffin Reinhart)
ROR would be a great #2 center. If we could trade say Bailey + KO/Nino + a 3rd for him and sign him for 4.75 per I'd do it. Can't speak for the rest of you, but I'd be ecstatic at the idea of JT-ROR-Frans as our 1-2-3 centers.