Thread: Confirmed Trade with Link: [PIT/WPG] Eric Tangradi for a 7th round pick in 2013
View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
I think there is a certain amount of adjustment to one's game that needs to happen to be successful in the NHL. It explains why some players who are more skilled are in the minors while less skilled players, guys a lot of people would call "plugs", are in the NHL, because they know how to do the things you need to do to win.

Asking Bennett to learn to play a bit more of a North/South style game isn't necessarily changing a guy's style of play. They're trying to round him into a good player by adding complementary skills. In the NHL, you're not always going to be able to rely on skill alone. You may be asked to do things outside of your comfort zone sometimes, and you need to learn how to do that.
To an extent. My point is they seem to be trying to outright change the way a guy plays, even if it's contrary to his natural game.

As I said, it's one thing if they wanted Tangradi to be a lot more responsible defensively, or even to emphasize that he needs to finish his checks each and every time. But it seemed they went above and beyond that, trying to turn him into something he's not.

I just don't want to see them stifle Bennett's creativity by insisting he play the exact same way that guys like Kunitz, Dupuis, Cooke, etc. play, and if he tries anything fancy or creative, he gets benched for the rest of the night.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote