View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Based on my research in the last two ATDs, I can say with 100% certainty that Vancouver's system was very similar to Ottawa's with Mickey MacKay used in a role similar to Nighbor's.

On that note, I noticed in the dishing the dirt thread when you were analyzing the hook check you noticed that it was usually passed from player to player and that there was a break in the chain with Frank Boucher. MacKay is likely that link. And a big reason Vancouver couldn't beat Ottawa was likely that the student was never a match for the master.
That is an excellent point, and you are right that Frank Boucher probably learned the hook check from Mickey MacKay in Vancouver. You may also be right that all of the teams which revolved around a high-end hook-checker at center had defensemen who were more active in the attack. The Cup champion Maroons team with Hooley Smith at center also got a lot of production out of Conacher and Wentworth, their top two defensemen at the time.

It is worth investigating a bit more the correlation between hook-checkers at center ice and team scoring from the defense. This would, of course, make Eddie Shore something of an exception to the rule, which is not really surprising.