Divisional pairings across conferences. (MOD: Playing Matrix)
View Single Post
02-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Originally Posted by
Sorry. I often run into the problem of assuming that the other person understands more of my thoughts than he does.
So, since I guess the part in blue is the real question:
think that. And,
think that. But, again, we are sitting here analyzing from the perspective that the first, most important thing is:
What makes sense in a world where the $$$ doesn't count, and we don't have to deal with 30 egos (well, 29 + Bettman. He counts more than one, I think.)
So, yes, that's a big difference to me. But, it won't be a deal breaker for the League, even if it should be. That's because:
1) A 6-division format is, as far as I can tell reading my tea leaves, dead.
2) Therefore, it will be a 4-group format somehow.
3) The owners seem to like the home/home and the players are on board.
4) I can't find another way with mostly even numbers (6s and 2s) to put the schedule together.
5) If it is a 4-div arrangement, it has to be 2-conf because of the 7/8 thing. We could argue numbers about that for a long time, but that is the PA reality.
Of course, my #3 above could be totally wrong. I was surprised how many 3s there are in this year's format.
The only other way is
3 vs other division in your conference (21 or 24)
2 vs one division from other conference (16 or 14)
1 vs othe division in other conference (7 or 8) (these last 2 rotate)
The rest in your divison (34, 36, 38, or 39 depending...)
Which is lots of 3s, 1s, and 5s. But it does account for your objection.
No problem, MNN, it was a bit frustrating there for a while.
So you're simply saying that yes, it doesn't make sense, but you don't think it'll matter.
But then you do suggest that "only other way is"... Now I think you must be seriously joking with that. But no, it's not the "only other way. There's that way that I suggested that you said wouldn't fly:
60 games = 4 x 15
16 games = 2 x 8
8 games = 1 x 8
60 games = 4 x 15
12 games = 2 x 6
10 games = 1 x 10
56 games = 4 x 14
22 games = 2 x 11
4 games = 1 x 4
The Bolded one with a 30-team League.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by MoreOrr