View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 05:01 PM
silverfish
Bow ties are cool

vCash: 500
Hey, I'm pretty much a n00b to reading, so I have a few questions and I think the people in this thread could help me.

First off, I have this theory that high school (at least public high schools) in America absolutely turn kids off from reading. The way reading is forced as assignments I think is the wrong way to go about it. I was assigned classics in school that probably really ruined it for me. Books like The Great Gatsby and the epic poems like The Odyssey I was "forced" to read and therefore never did. I don't know any way to solve this, maybe it's just me that it affected, but who knows.

Anyways, I was hoping some of you guys could point me in the direction of some "American Classics" that I should check out.

Books like The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mocking Bird, etc.. etc.. Also if anyone has any recommendations for books about American History (I really enjoyed Killing Lincoln and Killing Kennedy and am somewhat fascinated by American History and would like to learn more).

Anyways, can anyone recommend me "the essentials" of these themes? It would be greatly appreciated.