View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Nalyd Psycho

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
If you are trying to imply that he was a hired gun, just basically there to score, then you are way off. But I PM'd Modo and ck26 to weigh in. I could start a thread on the Stars board as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
If there were mercenaries on that Stars team, it was Brett Hull and maybe one other winger who will be drafted but hasn't yet.

Nieuwendyk came over in the Jarome Iginla trade in 95, and that trade really felt like we were building something special. Same feeling when Dallas traded for Guy Carbonneau. Hull's first year on the team was the Cup year, and when he joined the team it felt like, "OK championship time."

Hatcher was tenured and was the alpha male, which I think is why he (not Modano) wore the C. His suspension for mugging a guy who had cheapshotted Modano was probably poorly timed (suspended the entire first round of the playoffs), but was a perfect demonstration of why he was the captain. That's just how Hatcher rolled.
I thought Niewendyk was brought in in '97 or '98. My mistake for not checking before commenting.