View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
Scoring is the sole reason we are not winning, plain and simple.

This team, on paper and on the ice, will win with their offence. I actually think the defence and goaltending have been sufficient to above average this year (I have removed Whitney from consideration to make those statements mildly valid).

Here is the problem:

Hall-RNH-Eberle

Games - 13
Scoring chances - Infinity
Goals - 6

Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky

Games - 13
Scoring chances - Respectable Amount
Goals - 14

The second line is not carrying the team with that offence, Nor should they be expected to. Just over 1 goal a game is very respectable for the production required from secondary scoring to win games. Assuming your first line is performing better.

If this team is going to win, that number for goals from the first line has to get in the range of 16-18 over approximately that number of games. That would put the team at 40 goals for overall, good for top 10 in the league. It's not only reasonable for this team to expect our offense to be top 10 in the league, it is required if we want to go anywhere. In other words, Hall-RNH-Eberle have to lead and carry this team, as unfortunate as that is for them at this age. I refuse to believe they're not good enough.

Who could've seen this coming? All these question marks before the season, not one of us anticipated our offensive output would be the main factor holding us back.
Solid post but with all due respect I was calling out the toplines play in OKC on a regular basis and seeing extensive trouble with that units persistence, consistency, and battle effort. No doubt that the stars feasted on lesser, or unprepared opponents but against reasonable efforts, pressure, and team systems they struggled. At the AHL level.
That this line wasn't clicking and working to the degree that they should was not only predictable, it was being demonstrated.

I guess people expected the topline to just escalate their performance as soon as the NHL season started. That seldom happens seamlessly. Bad habits, I could list several, were being acquired, which I called out several times and few agreed with the concerns. Fact is my comments were being shouted out in those game threads as being ridiculous.

Without being paired with J Schultz the top line is horrendous. RNH 5 on5 production is 1pt/60mins. These are Brodziak type numbers playing on 2nd or 3rd line. They are incomprehensible for a #1 pick top unit forward with huge toi.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote