View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 05:37 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
First of all, Bill O'Rielly has been proven to have lied in his book about Kennedy so please stop funding and reading his crap.

Secondly, it's up to you to start reading and then figure out what you like - it's one of the greatest forms of entertainment but people are just too intimidated by the number of options before them. The Great Gatsby is, for a multitude of reasons, THE American novel, especially if you're considering "American Classics" it doesn't get any more classic than that - barring maybe Huck Finn.

If you liked Catcher in the Rye you'll probably like Franny and Zooey also by Salinger. But I think that you'll like The Gunslinger by Stephen King - it's book one of a series but it's a really cool book and interesting to read and very well written, it's what drew me into reading. Otherwise if you want something simple to get your feet wet, I recently read The Pearl by Steinbeck and it's very short and very easy and it can get the gears moving. Also easy to read and fun is The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson, it goes well with the movie. Siddhartha by Herman Hesse is another easy read which is also a 20th century classic.

I'm not naming the "essentials" because the chances are you won't like them right off the bat. You have to start to enjoy reading first, reading for leisure and as a form of entertainment, and then your appreciation of the craft will grow. Walk before you can run.

My favourite ever book is A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole - the main character is highly unlikable, if you can get past that I think it's (one of) the funniest works of fiction ever produced.
Really? What did O'Reilly lie about?

Also, never read Catcher in the Rye just listed that as an example of what I (with no knowledge) believe to be an example of an "American Classic"

Thanks for the input!