View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Glacial

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I think the priority among Canadian fans is #1 Quebec City, #2 Seattle, and after that, I don't think people really care.

Even as a GTA fan who is all but shut out from Leafs games, I am not passionate in the slightest about a second Toronto team.

If it happens, great! And I will be sitting at my computer when season tickets go on sale hoping to cash in on the secondary market just like everyone else, but the feeling around acquiring the team is nothing like Winnipeg or Quebec.

Winnipeg and Quebec are seen as wrongs that need to be righted. GTA2 has no such sentimental attachments. It is a pure business decision.
Very interesting. I would have thought there would be a market clamoring for a more affordable/accessible team (given all the talk of Leafs ticket prices and the issue with getting tickets) and with the Leafs being big rollers like the Yankees but lacking the trail of championship trophies to match, people would be willing to try a 2nd team or have a 2nd team make the Leafs shape up.

I'm trying to think of parallels (2nd team arriving after a long established first)...
- Kings & Ducks. Ducks arrived ~25 years later, but tried to follow the same pattern as Dodgers/Angels. Maybe a LA area hockey fan can provide more insight into team dynamics/support in the area pre/post Ducks.

- Rangers go way back, but there was that other NY team that the NHL screwed over (the temporary hiatus which quietly became a permanent fold). The Islanders seemed to target suburban long island (similar position as the Ducks & Angels). Devils were tied to Jersey. Hmm, anyone know more of the Islanders backstory, how the team was pitched back when it was created?

- Yankees & Mets. Mets arrived in Queens, trying to replace the Dodgers that exited Brooklyn & Giants that exited Manhattan (Yankees based out of the Bronx). They went from 3 teams to 1. The Mets had to be created as the lynchpin of thwarting a rival league from forming. Doesn't quite seem to parallel. The Giants were fairly successful early on, though the Yankees eclipsed them by the 1920s.

- Dodgers & Angels. Dodgers only preceeded the Angels in LA by 3 seasons. Angels settled in Orange County. There was also NL/AL rivalry. Remember, before 1968, the Angels were the only AL team in California. They seemed to market themselves as a statewide team, thus their name for many years, the California Angels.

- Giants & A's. Giants had 10 years, but the Bay Area is famously fragmented (only shared MLB market where the teams have different territory). IIRC, 49ers and Raiders was the NFL vs. AFL situation. Same went for Giants & Jets. There's no rival league involved in Toronto. It'll be all NHL.

- White Sox arrived ~30 years after the Cubs but that was over a century ago. Phillies were only around 20 years when the Athletics arrived and same goes for Cardinals & Browns in St. Louis (Browns became the Orioles). Same for the Red Sox & the Braves.

I'm not seeing any close parallels except Kings/Ducks.

Or would it be a case where many are indifferent about a theoretical 2nd GTA team but when one actually arrives, they'll change their tune?