View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
CorwiN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I remember Joe as more of the leader of the team on the ice, the bench and in interviews. On another board some are saying the team was full of leaders so Joe wasn't significant in that regard. One went so far as to imply that Joe was simply a hired gun and at most one of the gang.

How much of a leader do you recall Nieuwendyk being, especially relative to Derian Hatcher?
Well, I was a lot younger and more vulnerable to taking things at face value at the time, but I always got the impression that Hatcher was one of the real leaders of the team. It wasn't just about the crazy, dirty things he'd do for the team, but also something about the way other players talked about him, and the way he sort-of "carried himself."

Sure, Nieuwy was probably a leader. But I don't think he was more important as a leader than Hatcher.

Regarding the notion of Modano being a serious leader to the team, I never got that impression. At least not in a good way. And I don't think this team has had a real leader for a long time.

CorwiN is offline   Reply With Quote