Thread: Dany Heatley...
View Single Post
02-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Effin' Voodoo Magic
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
This is something that has been on my mind as well lately.

After the Heatley episode of Becoming Wild, I had some reservation about just how serious he takes his conditioning.

For a guy of his height and weight, he is not nearly as strong as he should be, not for a pro athlete. He just seems to be a little burnt out on the whole thing.

You can tell Koivu and Parise thrive on competition; destroying the opposition and battling. Heatley just seems tired and mostly just goes through the motions.

I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but this is the impression I get.
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There were reports early on that Heatley put on some muscle this year. Maybe he's just starting to work out? I've read a lot of reports that his conditioning and workouts were next to nil in the past. Definitely got by on pure talent and skill and he does seem to be a gamer.

I really hope that when he was deadlifting and squatting 120 pounds those were either warmup reps or he was still rehabbing from surgery. Because he ought to be doing at least twice that amount for those specific exercises. Weak legs aren't going to give you explosive speed.
Agreed. Those are pathetic weights for a professional athlete who gets paid 7.5 million per year.

I think he was good in the last game when he got on the top line again, so it seems to point out to an attitude / motivational issue on the second line, unfortunately. He better keep producing with Koivu and Parise as we can't afford any sulking divas on the team. However, as Jarick pointed out he seems like a guy who has strived mostly on his natural talent and ability which would indicate the recent decline of his career is permanent and probably just gets worse soon. Guy is 32 and is not getting any younger, not with having neglected training so badly thus far. With that in mind I think Wild should move on without him this upcoming offseason.

FVM is offline   Reply With Quote