View Single Post
Old
07-10-2006, 11:43 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee View Post
my suggestion is stay away from new york city it's all trash and not a tourist area whatsoever - you want a vacation go to florida... if you like homeless people and trashy looking buildings then I guess new york city is for you - I'm not trying to sound like john rocker I'm just saying what I saw on my trip to new york city - only the inside of madison square garden was the only nice part of new york
Dude, when did you last come, 1979? Very little of the city is like that any more - even many of the so-called "bad" nieghborhoods from as recently as 5-10 years ago are getting incredibly gentrified. Times Square looks nothing like it used to - it's now completely Disney-fied (I actually kinda miss the old, seedy Times Square...).

Other thoughts on where our friendly visitor should go:

1) Schedule some time just to meander. One of the great things about NY is the neighborhoods - the Upper West Side, the West Village, the Lower East Side and SoHo are all really good, varied choices for this. In addition, I HIGHLY recommend walking over the Brooklyn Bridge - the views on the Bridge itself are great and there are some great neighborhoods on the Brooklyn side (Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Prospect Heights), however you may want to avoid rambling in Brooklyn if you don't have a native to guide you, because it is fairly easy to get disoriented. Definitely do the Bridge itself, though.

2) There are tons of FASCINATING museums. As another poster wrote, the Met (short for the Metropolitan Museum of Art) is the classic, but I love the Museum of Modern Art (a.k.a. MoMA) and the Museum of Natural History and a lot of the smaller, more specific ones are cool too. One of my favorites is the Tenement Museum which is located somewhere in the Lower East Side.

3) If you like baseball, get tickets for a Yankees game. The stadium is a cathedral to baseball.

4) Bars, restaurants, etc. Again, if you've got a native guide, have him or her make some recommendations. If not, ask at the hotel - although make it clear that you don't want to go to the Hard Rock or some other tourist trap, you want to go to something that New Yorkers actually attend.

Hope that helps. Welcome - have fun!