View Single Post
Old
02-15-2013, 11:00 PM
No Team Needed

vCash: 500
I've lived through three dynasties so far: Canadiens, Islanders and Oilers.

I watched the Islanders out play every rough and tumble team in the NHL in the early 80s. They had what many of you would call soft as butter players. But these guys had skill that no third liner in the NHL could touch back in the day and they played like a unit. They supported each other but it wasn't from dropping gloves. They supported each other through goal scoring, defence and goaltending. That was the Islanders dynasty. It was a team working together as a team and it was a team with unrivalled skill until the Oilers got older.

The Oilers and Canadiens were similar to this. Those weren't the teams people were afraid to fight. Those were the teams people were afraid to play because they'd question their ability to play in the NHL. When you go to throw a high check on Gretzky and he's already skated by you, what does toughness give you? When Guy Lafleur just made you look silly in the D zone, why bother dropping the gloves? When you have to face Bossy, Trottier and Gillies and even then you got Butch Goring and Denis Potvin to deal with, it doesn't matter whose knee you try to take out. You're still getting eliminated from the playoffs.

That's why those teams won. That's why those teams were dynasties. That's why those teams were great. I'll take Goring and Bossy winning Lady Byngs over just about anyone playing the game today.

Done with this thread.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote