View Single Post
Old
02-16-2013, 12:49 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
what has been holding him back as NHL backup? he seems to do well in the AHL and is only 25 and will be 26 in june

He's a late bloomer who took an unconventional route. He went to college in Alabama... not Wisconsin, Minn, Michigan or Notre Dame... not even Yale or Clarkson... Alabama!

In his first pro season, he was only an ok backup, even getting sent down to the ECHL for a couple of games. Then last year he split duties with Ocho, but was mostly regarded as the backup, though he did play very solid hockey.

This is his first year as an AHL starter.

The one thing about Talbot is that he's gotten better every year. He's significantly better this year than he was last year when he was significantly better than the year before.

Same thing in college. In his freshman year, he was rocked on almost daily basis, though in his defense, his team was just awful and despite having a GAA of 4.63, he actually played solid hockey.

Next year, he reduced goals against by almost 2 goals per game to 2.95 while the team in front of him continued to stink and give him no support.

By his junior and final season, he was the best player in CHA putting up tremendous numbers, getting his team to NCAA and almost stealing a victory against the #1-ranked Miami-Ohio. Playing against the best college hockey team, he was the best player on the ice.

And then he only continued improving, as I described earlier. I hope he doesn't plateau now. It would suck if he made all this improvement only to stop just short of the NHL. But I don't think he will. Another small step forward and he'll be an NHLer.

The fact that the Rangers gave him a one-way deal is a sign of just what I have been saying for 2 months: there is real hope that he will soon be an NHL goalie.

Notice that when I said this the first time earlier in the season, I was literally mocked and made fun of on this forum. Not so funny anymore! Go get 'em, Cam!