View Single Post
Old
02-16-2013, 11:25 AM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
ESPN has an excellent game summary tool that lists every event during a game. I took a look at the last Vancouver game to see if there was anything of interest in explaining the Oilers shot differential. What I found was the following

Code:
Distance	Oilers	Canucks
0-19	9	4
20-29	5	8
30-39	5	10
40-49	5	4
50+   	1	14
The Canucks big shot advantage was all on shots from over 50 feet out. In fact 7 of the Canuck shots came from 60 ft or more away from the net. This is actually something I suspected. A good part of the reason for the big shot differential is that the Oilers give up lots of point shots but other than Schultz they have few of their own.

This is especially true on pp's.

Part of this is good news. One can argue that the shot differential skews the perception of the game play. BUt part of it is bad news as well. Lots of point shots against can be indicative of the fact that the team does still struggle to get the puck out of their own end.

That's illuminating and interesting. Solid post.

What it also tells me is that the Oilers simply don't shoot enough from anywhere except in close... they refuse to shoot the puck until they dipsy-doodle it and pass it around to setup perfect shots when they should be blasting from distance more often and going for garbage goals... rebounds, deflections etc.

Maybe even get the odd goal that would bounce off the glass then off the goalies back and in... or some fluke shot that bounces off a goalie mask and in... not that those things ever happen in real life or anything.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote