Thread: KHL Expansion
View Single Post
Old
02-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I am not so sure about it. How does it work in Russia? As I know, Arena Omsk is owned or co-owned now by Avangard Omsk (Abramovich was previous owner or co-owner. I am not sure). All new arenas under construction are funded by local government, maybe clubs will have some share here. I am sure, clubs wont have 100%. Of course, change can come like in case of Arena Omsk. Slovan Bratislava is not owner of Slovnaft Arena as well. Another situation can be in Donetsk, club will buy its own arena.

IMO KHL leadership wants clubs to be owners of arenas. Why? Because of schedulling. Now clubs have problem because hockey is not no.1 priority in all arenas. Listen to Shalaev videa about schedulling. KHL has XY days to play hockey (the rest are NT breaks) and some clubs can not play home games during ALL of this XY days because of concerts/exhibitions. As I remember leader is SKA with above 20 days when they can not play at home during this regular season. Imagine, we have 6 moths of regulars season (sept-feb), approximatelly 20 days are free days (NT breaks), almost one free week around Silvester. So, regular season can be played during 5 months and SKA is not able to play home matches above 20 days of those 5 months. Yeap, I would not want to be a person who makes KHL´s calendar.

domino effect

btw, I sent PM
I don't know any specific arrangements that exist between KHL owners and local or regional governments. Even if they didn't provide funds to build or renovate their arenas, KHL owners have a lot of leverage as the main tenants of the buildings. Often, revenues and ownership rights for the venues are negotiated at the time the building is leased to the team. Since many local and regional governments don't have, or don't want to spend the resources to pay full cost of building and/or modernizing the buildings, they are willing to negotiate with owners to have a share of the proceeds from other events, such as rock concerts and so on. But I don't have any specific details on actual arrangements.