Thread: Player Discussion: Brad Richards
View Single Post
Old
02-16-2013, 12:35 PM
shinchanyo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
So, two years ago, the team was mediocre, barely snuck into the playoffs, and lost immeidately. The biggest roster change they made the following summer was adding Brad Richards. Last year, the team went to the conference finals despite lacking truly ideal linemates for Richards.

Yeah, what a horrendous addition he's been.

No doubt, he's playing quite poorly so far this season. The vitriol toward him, however, is being magnified by the abysmal PP. He's one reason the PP has been dreadful; he's not the only reason.

I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He's never succeeded based on his physical skills, so I have a hard time believing that he just forgot how to play.

The fact remains that thanks to the backwards manner in which this team was constructed, thanks to the fact that this team has continued to fail to develop a homegrown #1 center now going on over 30 years, there was basically no choice but to sign Brad Richards two summers ago. Unless y'all wanted this team to remain a mediocre bubble team for two years waiting for the possibility that Ryan Getzlaf will be available.
You could argue the big change was the maturation of our D especially McD's rise, Girardi raising his game further and even Stralman being a legit top 4 player added to Lundqvists best season. Regardless the problem is we signed him for good things yesterday but it seems almost a certainty that the near tomorrow and perhaps the present is Richards being another very poor performing, overpaid, C which we have all too much familiarity with. If you feel he can regain some semblance of his form then obviously yea we have to keep him it'd be crazy to what go back to the Eric Cris era. But the worries about BR are very legitamate. Every1 raves about his brains, playmaking and passing but, and I admit my inexperience, no one seems to see it from him this year or much last year either. He doesn't seem to control the puck or dictate play, he has failed to QB our PP, I don't see him make many Def plays or break up anything in the neutral zone. I just never notice him doing much of anything which makes the mistakes, the really dumb mistakes he has consistently made this year, really stand out. I did say there's no WAY he can continue to play this bad this year but this seems to me a sign of what we are going to get and very soon from him. If so I would have no problem hitting eject

These boards are clearly VERY melodramatic but this is not vitriol in the least from me and I don't see it from several others (Though there is obvious Reddenning going on from a fanbase that wants someone to overachieve rather than fall off a cliff prematurely for once). This is concern from me though not vitriol and hate...though o course like any normal person/fan I likely will start to hurl insults and spits in his direction if he doesn't unfirk himself soon.

If he doesn't turn this around I have zero rpoblem with cutting bait. The last few years have proven that partly thanks to the cap good players will become available and this is a team that only needs a few good ones not elite ones because even if it is built "backwards" it is built and it is capable.

Look to the future at the cap. It's a choice of retain BR and his underwhelming performance thus far or cut bait and have money to retain a combination of Staal, McD, Girardi, MDZ, Cally, Hank. (Some combination of them obviously 6.6 doesn't cover all of them) and with BR's length a mistake in keeping him has far reaching consequences that aren't worth it to me. It is possible that signing him like we did was the right choice but only because we got what we needed from him last year and have a no penalty escape route. Without the escape route this could easily turn and turn badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The buy-out stuff is stupid to think about until this summer. Im pretty damn positive that management isn't thinking about buying out their #1 center right now.
We are fans and have no influence on anything that this team does so why is it stupid to wonder and discuss this? Other than the fact that you don't like the option? He needs to play like a 1C in order to be considered one and right now he's played like an old idiot. What will he be 2 or 3 years from now with multiple years to go? It's a legit discussion.

Last edited by shinchanyo: 02-16-2013 at 12:51 PM.