Old
02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
His contract last until 2015.
Ignoring all of the other factors, is any team in the top ten going to take the risk of drafting a player they are basically guaranteed to not see for at least two seasons?
Not likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
No, there's no point in rushing things, but teams that pick in the top ten usually want a combination of future potential and readiness that will allow them to contribute in the not too distant future.
Other Europeans aren't a risk because there are transfer agreements in place, but with any player with a KHL contract, things are in limbo until the player actually puts pen to paper on his NHL ELC.
There's too much risk there.
If you're drafting someone in the top-five, okay, I'd like to see them by 2014-15, but after those picks, I'm more or less expecting 2+ years of development somewhere for those prospects in general, so I don't really see the KHL contract as a problem unless he signs an extension or expresses little interest in the NHL. These are things you obviously suss out in your scouting interviews and until they're known, no need to punish the player in the rankings for being Russian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
The bolded is what I saw. Potential. He's the player in this draft that 5 years down the road everyone will either go, how the *u*k did we pass on him, or more likely, good thing we passed on him. My Nichuskin suggestion only came from watching the beyond blue and gold where Terry says he wants to see management take more risks. IMO he has one of the biggest upsides in the draft. But may have the least chance of reaching his potential of all first rounders. If we can pick up an extra second. Definitely do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post
So Grigorenko is with the Sabres but hardly useful. Armia still didn't come over. Point is there is no point to rush things. These players are still coming over (yes, even Kuznetsov). Nichushkin didn't play enough hockey (as most Russians at his age) to rush to the NHL.

Nichushkin at #2 is little crazy though as he is not as proven as other top players in the draft but I would consider him within top 10 picks and certainly within top 10 forwards.
You can see flashes of Nichushkin's upside through his skating no doubt, but are also forced to make your judgments based on his limited ice. He's getting maybe ten minutes per game at Traktor, which parallels to Grigorenko's time here with us. Nichushkin does see more TOI in VHL and international play, but I didn't watch the latest U18 5-Nations tourney, where he apparently dominated his peers and bumped himself up the latest rankings.

What I'd like to see more of from Nichushkin are more shots and cross-zone passes that come from attacking the middle of the ice. From what I've seen of him and what most highlights will show, he normally goes the perimeter route around guys on his off-wing and then cuts hard to the net. His feet will only create so much for him in the NHL, so if and when he starts making those other plays more consistently, he'll be a handful to stop. As of right now though, the defense will continue to give him the outside and possession on his backhand, with the only true worry being that he'll beat you to the goalmouth if he has the speed/balance to get around you and your check. Hence, why I had the previous IQ question mark in my limited viewings, as I'd like to see him recognize that he could be making more of those other plays to become more dynamic.