View Single Post
Old
02-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Rocket of Russia
Needs more Tang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Relying on vets was the least of our concerns in those playoff losses.
Lovejoy’s gift to Couterier didn’t have an impact on the playoffs series? The wins coming in games where Tangradi was dressed? Keeping Martin and Michalek in the lineup even as they struggled incredibly was understandable even though Strait had handled himself with ease after being thrown in the fire? Craig Adams on the penalty kill? Relying on vets wasn’t the biggest issue, but it was certainly far from the least of our concerns.

Quote:
As for Despres over Lovejoy...yeah, what? That's exactly the sort of "rookie over mediocre vet" move that people say DB doesn't make. Except he did.
Calling Lovejoy “mediocre” is being generous. The knock here is how long it took Bylsma to choose the rookie over the obviously inept defenseman.

Quote:
Of course he has options left. The whole argument against DB is that he would call up career AHLers/fringe NHLers to fill roster spots over rookies. Remember? Chris Conner? Richard Park? Cal O'Reilly? Colin McDonald? There's no shortage of these types available in the organization. But he's giving BB a shot instead (even over Jeffrey) because he's skilled enough to make the potential payoff worth it.
How many of those listed players are current options? And due to player management and injury, Jeffrey is still treated like a “rookie” anyway, so Bennett over Jeffrey isn’t exactly groundbreaking. If anything it’s kind of strange that Bennett gets this look when Jeffrey could be tried again on Malkin’s line and Boychuk could get a shot elsewhere – 1st or 3rd – or even Bennett getting the call up after the decision is made that Boychuk didn’t cut it. This organization has essentially written Jeffrey off at this point, so it looks like Jeffrey is almost ready to join the list of the forgotten.

Quote:
TK's a vet who's consistently proven he can produce at a .5 PPG level. He's been talked to by the coaches, but he gets more rope to get himself back on track because of his track record.
Michalek had proved himself prior to last season as well. It doesn’t mean the ineffective and overall inconsequential player should get endless rope to get back to the unimpressive realm of mediocrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
You keep bringing up that Schenn and Kadri were labeled busts. I've seen Schenn play countless times now as I live near Philly and catch many of their games. Despite his struggles it was quite clear why he was as highly thought of as he was. From my limited time seeing Kadri before this year, the same thing applied. He struggled, but the talent was evident. With Tangradi he struggled, showed no talent, didn't throw his body around, and looked like a career ECHLer. It's an apples and oranges comparsion, at best.
I live near Philly too. Outside of straight-line Dupuis speed and the occasional big hit, I never saw that “pedigree skill” from Schenn.

Quote:
Here's a thread from last year regarding Schenn, roughly 10 games into his career in Philly it appears. The general consensus was that he looked good in limited action despite dealing with injuries and not producing offensively.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...hlight=brayden

Another Schenn thread a month later:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...hlight=brayden

I'm sure there were a few morons labeling him a bust when he wasn't scoring right away, but those people are the minority. Most saw right away that Schenn had a ton of talent and it was only a matter of time before he put it all together.

I'll look at what the majority of Leafs fans had to say about Kadri later on if you'd like but I'm guessing it's more or less the same story. Needless to say that very few fans came into this season thinking Tangradi had shown glimpes of being able to develop into a top 6 forward.
A fan base justifying a trade of their former captain? You can’t tell me you’re surprised. You should also quote the threads where these same posters were discussing Voracek and Read as being skilled enough to be the center pieces in a trade for Shea Weber. If Simmonds hadn’t made an immediate impact for the Flyers you would’ve had plenty of fans up in arms about their return for Richards.

Quote:
Carter and Richards were not underperforming veterans in danger of being benched. They both had excellent final seasons in Philly and everybody was shocked to see them traded. I am floored that you would even suggest this is comparable to wanting TK or Adams benched for Jeffrey, Tangradi, or other AHL fodder.
You lived near Philly, right? Did you not hear the constant calls for Carter's head? The constant ragging about his under-performance in big games, foot injuries, and overall lack of "heart?" The same drums were starting to beat for Richards as well, but he still had some time to get to where Carter was at the time of their trades. Yes, the Richards trade was a shock, but ultimately the fan base was excited for the change, and on the shoulders of Giroux, they felt they were ready to do such. There was much praise for Holmgren for “doing something” after it became quite clear the Flyers weren’t going to win the cup with the Carter/Richards core. The main criticisms you’d hear of the trades was, “Carter had to go, but the Richards trade could bite us” which is the equivalent of straddling the fence so you can claim righteousness if the trade turns out in the favor of the Kings or Flyers.

I believe the implications IcedCapp was getting to by bringing up Carter and Richards played exactly into what you said. Lavy and Holmgren traded away veteran proven scorers and they were a team that was in no position to “tank” or rebuild. If the Flyers could manage to make such difficult decisions to attempt to better their team without falling apart entirely, it shouldn’t be totally inconceivable for Bylsma to “do the same” with far lesser players like Kennedy and Adams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
But Strait, Lovejoy, Letestu, Armstrong, Tangradi, and soon to be DJ... I won't miss them one bit.
Why were these players here? What was the plan for them all along? Seeing these draft picks end up useless should make us feel good or indifferent to the 4th, 5th, and 7th round draft picks we got for them?

Last edited by Rocket of Russia: 02-16-2013 at 02:57 PM.