View Single Post
Old
02-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
The difference is that Edmonton wasn't in a position where they were a contender, or even a playoff team. They accepted the rebuild, and stuck with it. Playing Dubnyk essentially meant losing games, but slowly developing him.

Calgary isn't, nor have they been in the same situation. Giving a backup 20-30 games a season isn't the right move when you're gunning for playoffs, and you have an elite starter capable of 70+ games a year. As long as this team continues to try to compete, we won't see a backup getting the playing time that Dubnyk got. The only way we do see this, is if someone comes along and proves that they can be outplay Kipper (hopefully Ramo). While Kiprusoff has had a slow start, Irving isn't even close to being the goalie Kipper is.

As for him being demoted, giving Taylor or MacDonald a shot at this point can't hurt. This team is here to compete (or try to, anyways). Part of that means letting the best goalie play.
He could be playing about 15-17 games though in an 82 game schedule. If you control what starts he is getting against particular opponents, Irving would probably do well. He has shown already in the past that he is capable of winning games.

I agree our situation and the Oilers are entirely different, but my point is the Flames do not know how to bring along their prospects and in Irvings case he just got thrown to the wolves when he was called into action.

Yes Irving could be better, but he should of been handled better by management to this point as well. I really think Weisbrod needs more control over the Heat or Ward should be let go, what a *** damn mess this is turning into.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote