View Single Post
Old
02-16-2013, 08:07 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Outside of the Box Idea - Brandon Sutter on 3rd line Right Wing?

Ok, I know it's a bit crazy, but follow my thought process. (and this is really only a legitimate consideration if they try Jeffrey again on Geno/Neal's LW...

I think Dustin Jeffrey has the chance to be a hell of a player. What remains to be seen is how effective, if at all, he can be on the LW. So why not try Brandon Sutter on 3rd line RW and have Jeffrey centre the 3rd line (with Sutter taking the draws on his stronger side). In this scenario, TK would be bumped from 3rd line RW -- which may happen anyway if he doesn't pick up his game or becomes trade bait -- although TK played his best game of the season so far against WPG.

The biggest problem with the Malkin or J. Staal experiment on wing was that there was a big drop-off in their play, and especially their offensive production. I think Sutter, however, may not have such a drop-off at all, and could even improve his offensive output in that role. Jeffrey is a fantastic 2-way player at the centre ice position, and is more gifted offensively and as a playmaker than Sutter; so I don't think there will be any drop-off on this line defensively by this proposal, and might even make them produce a lot more offense. And there would be nothing wrong with having a "Jere Lehtonen" type winger in Brandon Sutter.

Kunitz--Crosby--Dupuis
Cooke/BB--Malkn--Neal
Cooke/BB--Jeffrey-- Sutter
Glass--Vitale--Adams/Kennedy

(and if we were to package Kennedy with a Maatta or Niskanen for Setoguchi, move Seto him up with Crosby, move Dupuis down to 2nd or 3rd line, and send BB back to WBS where he probably belongs for the balance of this season)

Kunitz--Crosby--Setoguchi
Dupuis/Cooke--Malkin--Neal
Cooke-Dupuis-Jeffrey--Sutter
Glass-Vitale--Adams
Boychuck

I think this scenario could really work well; not only for creating offense, but also for properly giving Jeffrey the ice-time/opportunity he deserves, even if that does nothing more than increase his trade value (which could be pretty low now, but could become pretty substantial if teams see him healthy and producing at 5on5, EV, and PP/PK). So maybe this just gets done temporarily to give things a different look, and move Sutter back to centre if needed a year or two from now some when some of our wing prospects will be ready (i.e. Archibald, Megna, etc.) to take that 3rd line RW spot.

I know it's a bit off the wall, but it also sounded off the wall when I suggested moving James Neal to RW before last season, and that has turned out pretty nicely. Maybe two-times a charm.

Thoughts?

(and p.s., for those who say that Sutter should be moved to RW on Sid's line, I like him better here, but I think he would still form an ELITE checking trio with Cooke/Dupis + Jeffrey, and would keep his role a bit lesser through this season, which means easier and cheaper to re-sign him. After that, we'll see).

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote