View Single Post
Old
12-18-2003, 08:17 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
But they obviously never had any chance to get a top-6 forward or top-4 d-man. If it was possible, it would have been done.
Hey Seachd

Anyways, this assumption you make is what I take issue with. He couldn't? Or you just don't think he could have?

What's to say he couldn't have gotten a top 6 forward or a top 4 defenseman in say, February? Maybe a teams' top line centreman goes down and they need a replacement for the stretch run. You don't think a team like Ottawa would give up a Rachunek or a team like NYI would give up a Mark Parrish to solve those problems?

And speaking of which, Parrish is currently on the block and could be had for even less than Comrie right now (if you listen to NYI media).

Rumour has it Richard Zednik is on the block.

Kristian Huselius might be running out of time in Florida.

Alexander Frolov was rumoured to be on the table for Comrie in late October/Early November.

Those guys are just some examples, there are plenty more. And imagine what might have been opened up down the pike?

Too many of you are too quick to say, 'Lowe couldn't have gotten more'. I notice this attitude often, whenever Lowe doesn't something wrong, somehow it's not his fault, there was nothing he could do. It's not his 'fault' for hiring Craig MacTavish, an inept coach - it's not his fault for giving Mike Comrie a bonus laden contract - it's not his fault that he couldn't get anything more than Marty Reasoner out of the Doug Weight deal.. but I digress.

I can understand some folks liking the value, but if last night against LA prooved anything it's that this team needs help RIGHT NOW more than down the road. And what's to say with a guy like, say, Parrish, that the help wouldn't be there down the road? Parrish isn't retiring any time soon, and he could have been a huge boon to the Oilers power play in front of the net if nothing else. Guys like Rachunek are skilled puck movers who might have been available in a couple months.