View Single Post
Old
02-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Avs71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I didn't say EJ doesn't have the potential. He doesn't have the production. Shattenkirk has both.

And as I said in an earlier discussion, last year's StL/Col teams scored about the same amount of goals, and Shattenkirk far outproduced EJ offensively.

Again, I truly don't have a problem with EJ as a player. I really don't. In fact, I think he's quite good in certain aspects of the game. I also believe I'm taking a very direct, honest look at him and accepting what he is. At least what he is right now. My issue is the price paid for EJ.

Ever since EJ got to Colorado, I've been of the belief that they should pair him with a really good stay-at-home defenseman, so he can be free to produce offense. I'm not sure I feel that way any longer. I'm beginning to believe that EJ *is* the really good one defensively, and they should pair him with someone who can produce offense.
Okay fair enough. I can't really disagree with anything you've said. It was a steep price to pay, but one that seemed necessary. I think this team will have a lot easier time finding another Shattenkirk before they find an EJ. It's really too bad Sherman shot himself in the foot in this sense. He had a guy similar to Shattenkirk who he basically gave away for nothing. Not only would Liles be nice to have still, but he would have made the whole Stewart-Johnson trade look a lot better from the Avs end.

I agree with him needing a offensive defenceman as well. Watching him the last two seasons, it is clear he is truly becoming a take care of his end first type of player now. However, I don't think he is going to end up just a shut-down defenceman. I really believe that if he got a mobile partner who can roam around for him, as well as be decent enough defensively (Hunwick with a brain), then he would excel.

I've pointed this out before, but when he first got here he mostly played with Liles and was playing at a 39 point pace. That is roughly what I would expect from him given a *decent* scoring defenceman. If they found him a defensive partner (i.e Yandle) who excels offensively, then I wouldn't be surprised with 45-50 points plus great defence. As it stands now, if he is playing the current Avs defencemen then he will always be a ~30 point defenceman unless he decides that playing good defense no longer matters. I feel like if you swapped him with a guy like Brent Seabrook, you'd see Seabrook's numbers really decline, and Johnson's increase playing with Keith.

5,10, and 8 are respectable goal scoring numbers. It would be nice to know what happened in his full season here which has continued into this season.