View Single Post
Old
02-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Francesa

vCash: 500
After the game, Coach K mentioned, "If it really was a rivalry, they'd have stayed in the ACC." Part of what he is saying is right. It's mainly Maryland's fault that they left the conference. Maryland left for money reasons.

Duke has never thought of it as a rivalry, it's always been one-sided towards the Maryland side, in terms of rivalry perception. But that doesn't discredit what Coach K said. The Maryland rivalry has always been important to us Maryland residents. It's stupid that Maryland left and robbed the school of a thrilling series which will almost certainly end after next year. You can't tell me this team will move to the B1G and establish new rivalries. It won't have the same feeling that Maryland - Duke did.

In the end, Maryland is an ACC school. This is a school which had Lefty and Gary. Remember Lefty taking the ACC trophy and pinning it on his car, as he drove through North Carolina, honking his horn? That's the ACC spirit Maryland embodied for so long. That's what's going to go after next year.

It makes me so mad because I grew up with them in the ACC. Maybe it's just me refusing to modernize, or me stuck in the past. I grew up watching Maryland basketball. I grew up watching Steve Blake with the steal on Jason Williams in Cole Field House, I grew up watching Maryland win an ACC championship in overtime against Duke. I grew up watching Gary, I spent my fair share at the Comcast Center with courtside seats, I have always considered Maryland to be a secondary brother. I hold those memories of old Maryland teams close to my heart. And it hurts greatly to see Maryland move to the B1G. I just don't feel like it's an appropriate fit.

I don't know what would happen if Maryland would have stayed. There was a lot of talk that, due to ACC expansion, Maryland's "protected rival" (the team that they were guaranteed a game with every year) would be Pittsburgh?, and not Duke. There's no guarantee that the "rivalry" would have continued anyway. They still would have played, though.

So, Coach K may be hated by many, but he's right. He's totally right. And I don't even like the guy.

Last edited by Francesa: 02-16-2013 at 11:04 PM.