View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 05:20 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
How does he look playing against bigger forwards? Has he been improving his game? Is he a training freak like P.K.? I've got to say I liked his game at the Prospects game but that's very small sample to evaluate. You know those end-to-end rushes won't cut it in the NHL, but it means he has a scary footspeed, which means he'll be able to move the puck out of the zone like his brother does. But the questions with him aren't puck movement nor offensive potential, but rather physical and defensive.

I believe the knocks on him really are that he's not as big as PK or Malcolm, and that's what might hurt him down the road. I understand Jordan doesn't have the numbers Ryan Ellis had at the same age, but it didn't seem to be a problem (size) for scouts back then. Anyone has seen both in their draft year to compare? Sadly I only saw Ellis play at the WJC, but I remember him being used with PK on the PP solely.
Jordan relies a lot on his speed against bigger forwards as they really cannot skate with him. He's a very strong kid for his size because of his training (also trains at LPS, see below)..and does so as frequently as PK hits the gym. I definitely can see Jordan having a bit of a Bouillion frame (short but strong for his size).

He's better than PK was defensively at the same age and is probably as physical. Ellis mans the PP better but I like Jordan's 5-on-5 game a lot better. He's as fast as anyone and when you watch him, you can only be reminded of PK.

I think if he continues to work on his defensive game and continues to get stronger, he has a NHL future ahead of him. How good will he be? Well that depends on if he can adapt, just like PK had to and has done. I think he's worth taking a flyer on with either our second or Nashville's.

For comparisons sake:

PK Subban - 15 Goals, 41 Assists, 56 Points
Jordan Subban - 18 Goals, 34 Assists, 52 Points (pace)
Ryan Ellis - 22 Goals, 67 Assists, 89 Points (in 57 games)

These are the three players numbers in their draft year. However, lets keep in mind something. Ryan Ellis played with the likes of Taylor Hall, Adam Henrique and Greg Nemisz and was largely more productive on the PP. PK had one of the top scorers in Tyler Donati, Shawn Matthias and Matt Beleskey among others on one of the top offensive teams in the league. Until the recent acquisitions of Tyler Graovac and Alan Quine, the Belleville Bulls were among the worst offensive squads in the league with Gaunce and Zharkov proving inconsistent for most of the season. It was Subban leading the offensive charge for the squad, which is something neither of the other two had to do.

Last edited by chaosrevolver: 02-17-2013 at 05:31 AM.