View Single Post
Old
07-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Netro

vCash: 500
Samsonov may only be 5-8 but is almost 200 pounds. He is strong on his skates and and excellent skater. He also has very good offensive skills and is only 27. I know people wanted Shanahan but I'd prefer Samsonov. Is he the same leader as Shanahan...no...not even close. But, really, would Shanahan for 1 year really be useful for the Habs? The Habs are getting better but I still don't think that this season is a year where we will be able to consider the Habs serious contenders. I think that the team needs another year under its belt.

If the Habs can lock up Samsonov for 3 or 4 years at a reasonable price, they are getting a potential 30 goal scorer and the contract would end when he is only 30/31 and when the Habs should be serious contenders for a cup. Plus, I think he would be a good fit on a line with Kovalev.

Size is not the only thing...it's how you play (big or small) that is important. Guys like Mark Recchi, who is small, played a lot bigger than a guy like Patrick Traverse or even Peter Popovic, who were bigger. Plus, in the new NHL, let's not overlook pure skill.

And as for Lang, I am not so enamored with him. He is 35 and I think starting to show signs of age. I just don't think throwing $$ at 35 year olds + is a good idea for the Habs.