Thread: Proposal: Edm-ott
View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 08:28 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 500
I am not a Hemsky fan but outside of him there is ZERO real experience on our top 6. I am also not a big Dubie fan and wanted Anderson the year COL signed him and we thought KHABI was the better option. I went and tore up the OMB when we chose Khabi instead of Anderson.

However now is not the time to do any of this. There are issues with Hemsky but mostly it stems from the fact that no one in our top 6 is BIG and none are defensive gems with top 6 offensive touch. IN other words Hemsky is yet another triangular peg when we would ra\ther have options... but he is the one with experience. If he is healthy, which he seems to be, than his skill and experience IN THIS LINEUP is EXTREMELY valuable.
Another problem with Hemsky is he is a position snob and uncomfortable playing from the left. This is desite the fact he almost ALWAYs seems to score from a shot off his wrong side or wheels around the whole zone to cut to the net from left of centre. (tonight no exception to the norm)It blows my mind how he feels uncomfortable on the left at the lineup. This is an issue because Yaks open hand/wrong side is where he is most dangerous so Hemsky is derailing that. In the history of Hemsky the only 2 wingers i have witnessed to instinctively understand Hemmers ROVER mindset are Samsonov (who would rover in response) and Jagr (who has always rovered). Its mind blowlingly annoying.

Again, not a hemsky fan at all but he is what he is. TO send him off to get a older goaltender doesnt make sense. No knock on Anderson but if THE OILERS, and their core, are going to make trades its for a Johnny Boychuk (tough minute munching RHD), and a savvy vet bottom 6 grinder with size. If they make a move for goalie DUbs is out and the next guy is handed the next decade of oiler hockey. Think of CUJO when he came over. The oilers wont pick up a goalie for just a year or two. And the ieces the Oilers would be moving would mostly be futures. Arm chair GMs can sit and think up what they want but the Oil arent likely to deal Gagner (5 years invested and looking his best and strongest FINALLY and anchoring a line that leaves him as the only defensive conscience), Hemsky or Smyth...and forget Horcoff or Belanger lol. The Oilers will be dealing from the prospect pool and picks.

I do think the Oilers will make some trades this year but it might be another month before other teams know what they are doing. Oilers SHOULD BE buyers PERIOD. Whether we are in the top 8 or out we should be looking to ppick up pieces. This is also the year where i feel we can deal our top pick to a team for an asset we like now, an asset that has shown how he can perform in the league already at the very least OR- better yet - a player that excels in a role we badly need filled.
Right now with the poise of J Schultz i would love to see J Boychuk join him on the right--even if it cost us Petry's upside in exchange.

Also i dont believe we will be trading Smyth. Ive not been a fan of him since the contract squabble of years ago but if he can quit taking bad penalties than he is a great 3rd liner who IMHO works good with Horcs.

Last edited by oilinblood: 02-17-2013 at 08:44 AM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote