View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
What enticement?

- NHL prospects - Vail, Rychel, Johnson, Sieloff, etc. You'll have scouts there every game keeping an eye on them.

- 6,000+ fans

- A team that, just a few (apparently long) years ago won back-to-back Memorial Cups.

I know we're struggling this year, but the "we suck!!!! nobody will come here anymore!!!!" mentality is rather annoying.
NHL Prospects, but seemginly poor development on this "new core" - Ebert came to us as a kid who could stick in the NHL as an 18 yr old and crashed and burned. Johnson, Vail, Clarke all went in the mid-to-late rounds. Sieloff was drafted in the second before he came here. Koekkoek was traded for injured. Bateman was also highly thought of as a 15 yr old. Webermin was a first rounder who was forever in the dog house here. Ho-Sang looked like a regular rookie out there, again a year away from being the elite prospect. Look at the last 3-4 draft classes - it's not pretty. I'd worry about the development aspect if I was a parent/agent. If you're playing the NCAA game to choose your landing spot, Windsor's star has faded.

6000+ fans when you're winning. 2000 fans when you're not. And it will be worse next year assuming we don't get the Mem Cup as a lot of those season ticket packages were figuring to get Mem Cup games.

Back-to-Back Memorial Cups means nothing to a player coming in now. It looks more like that was lightning in a bottle than WR and Boughner being some elite talent scouts/coaching.

Not trading Ellis and Kassian was completely bone-headed and totally irresponsible and very likely will end up costing us the hosting gig. Hindsight being 20/20 but keeping them and going for it also led to the Locke trade to add that year.

We should be looking to do a total rebuild when we don't get the Mem Cup - everybody goes.