View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I'm sure that being on waivers is a type of motivation but teams do not waive potential game breakers.

Except the Leafs that one time (Steve Sullivan) but anyway...

MacDonald's ceiling is what the Flames need right now - a solid backup for either Kipper or his replacement - but he is not going to shove the Flames into playoff contention. I've been following his career for years and he's never struck me as being that particular type of goalie.

I'm not sure Feaster is up for the rebuild - I haven't heard anything publically anyway. So I guess that's still up in the air. It may take a massive change in ownership before this team can get back on the right track.

You mentioned Irving's 5 game audition - my only quibble with that part of your post is that he's missed that one game that every goalie needs to help make them or break them. He needs that post St. Louis game and they're not giving it to him. Flames management and coaches need (Even if Irving doesn't) him to play that game - even if it's just to rule him out as the possible number one.
His shaky performance in the first two periods of the Dallas game put him on a short lease IMO. And then letting in two out of four shots in the St.Louis game 5 minutes in sealed the deal. Yea its not enough of a sample size to judge but when your in Irving's position you don't have that much of a window. A goalie like Kipper is allowed to have bad games, simply because we all know that he's proven and will bounce back. Unfortunately for Irving, he doesn't have that luxury. As soon as MacDonald got picked up, we all knew that it was either lights out for Irving or he loses his job.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote