View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
I don't think we can blame the busts that we had in the past on the new management. The Flames do have a history with developing their prospects very poorly, but with only two seasons under his belt, we can't already suggest that Feaster is bad at developing prospects. Looking at the Irving case, it is obvious that they we're never big on him. I don't know exactly what they are thinking, but it seems like they don't see a future with Irving in this organization. Guys like Ramo, Gillies, and Broissoit are the goalie's of the future in their eyes.

As for giving prospects a chance, I am all for it. But right now if this team doesn't win games, the season is over for the Flames, and MacDonald i guess is more "reliable" because of his NHL experience. Developing a goalie is probably the hardest thing for an organization, and given that they want to both win and develop prospects, its hard to depend on a rookie goalie to bring you to the playoffs.
I'm not blaming Feaster for past failures, rather trying to illustrate how poor development is an institutional policy of sorts within the organization. It transcends the methodology of a single coach or a single GM. Look at how Backlund and Baertschi were getting the shaft this season despite a new coach. It's clear therefore that this win-at-all-costs screw-the-future mentality comes from up top, likely from an ownership group who still think it's 1995 when it comes to the NHL and that you can't win and develop prospects at the same time. And until they realize that times have changed, the Flames will continue to see more failures than successes.

And the most mind-boggling thing about this is that the Flames aren't even Stanley Cup contenders. I mean, it's understandable if a team such as the Canucks don't want to promise a rookie like Schultz guaranteed ice-time - they actually have a chance to win the Cup and can't afford to live with rookie growing pains. But for a team like the Flames, who even if they squeeze into the playoffs are likely one and done, it's like cutting off your legs because you can't fit through the door. Even if you get in, you're going to bleed to death. The short sightedness is just such sheer stupidity. What this ownership is doing is making a 3-5 year rebuild a 7-8 year process because when the foundation crumbles, they're going to find that they have nothing to stand on.

As for Irving, he was winning more games then he was losing. I'd call that entirely adequate in hold down the fort until Kipper came back. We don't know if MacDonald or Taylor can do the same in the two weeks or more Kipper's still out.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote