View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
He was designated the 3rd stringer before the AHL season in even started. He lost his starter's job last season only after being shuttled back and forth between the NHL and the AHL - before that, he was easily the best goalie on the Heat. Do prospects need to earn their position? Yes. At the same, they need to be given the opportunity to earn that position. The Flames and seemingly a lot of fans here, don't understand that.

Again, has Hudlinator illustrated, there's a very clear fallacy with the Flames mentality (both with the fans and management) when it comes to developing prospects but also winning. Contrary to what the Flames believe, you can do both at the same time. Well, at least you can if your organization isn't run by inept stooges who can't let their ego get out of the way. Look at New Jersey; they're trying to win but they're not afraid to give their prospects actual opportunities in the NHL to see what they can do. Look at the role Henrique played for them in his rookie season. Look at what Kreider did for the NYR last post-season. Every team has cases like these. Well, except the Flames. I wonder why?

The reality is, there isn't a team in the NHL as bad the Flames when it comes to drafting and developing prospects and there's a reason for that - this organization doesn't understand the development process at all and refuses to even try to. It's not a coincidence or just poor luck that the Flames seem to have so many first 'busts,' it's a self-inflicting cycle of misery as the organization refuses to adapt to the reality of good development.
This is a good post.

I don't see anything wrong with winning at the development team level but the priority still has to be on getting players ready for the NHL. Maybe it's best to call them 1 (Player development) and 1A (Winning) priorities. Abbotsford is a great example of this as they are currently winning a lot (Except last night) but really only have one or two decent prospects on the roster. I know the organization thinks a lot of the coach but he seems to be winning with veterans, retreads and "never were's". If I'm management I'm asking the serious question - can this guy really deliver the players we need for the NHL roster?

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote