View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
This is the problem. Why doesn't he have time? The Flames need players like Irving to get their minutes in the big leagues without the pressure of a playoff run. There's lots of time for Irving to play his way into a spot. Kipper's still out and Mac is only a waiver pickup for insurance purposes.
Management made it specifically clear when they picked up MacDonald that it was going to be a competition between him and Irving. They want to give MacDonald a good shot here, and they didn't sign Taylor for no reason. They want to see what he can do as well. For all we know Irving can get called up after 3-4 games and he's got another shot. I have no problem with this, they should be allowed to explore all their options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
I'm not blaming Feaster for past failures, rather trying to illustrate how poor development is an institutional policy of sorts within the organization. It transcends the methodology of a single coach or a single GM. Look at how Backlund and Baertschi were getting the shaft this season despite a new coach. It's clear therefore that this win-at-all-costs screw-the-future mentality comes from up top, likely from an ownership group who still think it's 1995 when it comes to the NHL and that you can't win and develop prospects at the same time. And until they realize that times have changed, the Flames will continue to see more failures than successes.

And the most mind-boggling thing about this is that the Flames aren't even Stanley Cup contenders. I mean, it's understandable if a team such as the Canucks don't want to promise a rookie like Schultz guaranteed ice-time - they actually have a chance to win the Cup and can't afford to live with rookie growing pains. But for a team like the Flames, who even if they squeeze into the playoffs are likely one and done, it's like cutting off your legs because you can't fit through the door. Even if you get in, you're going to bleed to death. The short sightedness is just such sheer stupidity. What this ownership is doing is making a 3-5 year rebuild a 7-8 year process because when the foundation crumbles, they're going to find that they have nothing to stand on.

As for Irving, he was winning more games then he was losing. I'd call that entirely adequate in hold down the fort until Kipper came back. We don't know if MacDonald or Taylor can do the same in the two weeks or more Kipper's still out.
Going into the season they placed Irving on waivers. I think that goes to show that management does not have high expectations for him. And the fact that he cleared shows even more that the rest of the league doesn't seem to see anything in him as well. If 29 other teams aren't open to giving him a shot we can't just go and blame the flames organization for bad asset management. If he is placed on waivers and clears I don't see how we're viewing him as the future goaltender of this club. With that said, there's no point of putting him in there for development if he has most likely no future with this team. I agree that MacDonald or Taylor might not be any better but they might as well give them a shot.

I get the point that you're trying to make here and we should be seeing this kind of development with our players, like Brodie, Backlund, Baerstchi. But as a goaltending stand point, management is bigger on the goalies we have in the minor system and don't see a point in developing Irving when he will probably be replaced and they can put in a more reliable goalie now to win games. Im not saying MacDonald will be better but we'll never know unless we try.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote