02-17-2013, 04:08 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Beware the Wrath
Of a Gentle Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
It all depends on whether you think it was one season or not. It was actually three seasons. He didn't put up offensive numbers the first two seasons because he was effectively on a McClement/Crombeen type line, but he was exceptional in that role for two seasons. At 18 and 19 in the NHL. They gave him skilled wingers and he blossomed offensively.

Let me put it this way. Watching him last year I was certain I was watching a player who would be the best, most offensively skilled forward were he on the Blues.
I believe in his talent. I think his defensive abilities would shine in this system, but I'm not convinced he would be the same offensively working in a more structured system. Regardless of how the offense translated, though, I think he would be a good fit here.

I simply don't think the Blues are likely to make a move like this given their track record. The contract demands, and the mentality behind it, would be extremely hard for this organization to swallow.

The Blues want to see their players prove it (in terms of production and consistency) before the big payday comes. The Blues have gotten great deals coming off ELCs by getting their players to buy into that concept. O'Reilly hasn't done that yet, and giving him special treatment sends a huge mixed message to the rest of the team even if the raw salary numbers are tolerable (and I'm not convinced they are).