View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 03:30 PM
NHL Hartford

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Actually, I think the issue was not the name change itself, but the fact that th name change occurred mid season. that's kind of ridiculous in my opinion... its not like if phoenix moved and then had to change its name, its more like the islanders changing their name to the Americans next month, a month before the finals start..
I agree the name change was done in haste, but let's remember who/how/why it happened midseason. It all goes back to MSG. If Baldwin hadn't come in the Rangers were gone that's why after he signed the 3 year deal he was in a hurry to turn over to the Whale ASAP and get going with the re-brand. HB ultimately ran out of $$, but low and behold, he was extorted than vilified by the same entities who drained him. MSG with the 1.1 Mil affiliation fee (600k more than they charged AEG for this season, also AEG charged Baldwin 25k per game for use of the XL Center more than double the next highest rent fee in the AHL.) AHL executives correctly labeled this as the most "onerous" lease in the league

In a perfect World the team would have been re-branded Hartford Whale for the beginning of the 10-11 season with a better logo than the current one and HB would have gotten a fair shake from AEG/MSG and the team would be on better footing. The Whale Bowl was hastily done as well, but they only had 3 years on the clock to put some big changes in motion.

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 02-17-2013 at 03:45 PM.