View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
It was stupid of the club to do the one year deal. Soon as we got Yak you had to know the Oilers were going to have 2 solid lines and with Gagner as the 2C. Gagners not had a year with this nature of linemates before thus far and it was very predictable he was going to have a good production year.

I was happy Gagner got the contract because this year was going to be showtime. Now he forces the teams hand. Had a good year last year as well.
Let me play devils advocate here, Hemsky comes back and plays at last years form, Yakupov struggles a bit and the 2nd line gets lit up because of Gagner's struggling faceoff and defensive ability. Would they be beating themselves up over not opening the vault for him? IMO they did the right thing, give him a 1 year deal, a "show me" deal. If he ends up being part of the future and the team decides to overlook his shortcomings because of his offensive abilities then at least he's starting to show that he can be consistent at this level. If he keeps it up his worth goes up for us or another team. If we keep Gagner we will need a stud 3rd line center that can play great defense so that we don't have to always rely on the RNH line to go head to head with the opposing teams top line at home. Who would fit that bill? Solid faceoff man with size and speed who can play tremendous defense and win over 50% on draws and fit in long term here? Will Gagner be a team player and take a little less because of his deficiencies? Or will he try to get every cent that he can like most athletes do? Lots of ?'s IMO, had Gagner started to elevate his game even 1 year sooner the picture would be a lot clearer.