View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 08:19 PM
LordFletcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
opinions on moving up in the draft? good idea this year since the top 5 is deep?

what would we have to give up to move up in the draft, to get a guy in the top 5, a guy like drouin, mackinnon, barkov or lindholm

any opinions on value of a heatley, seto, or PMB on draft day to move up. say we stay in the 9-13th overall range (as of this point in the season), we'd have to give up that pick and trade who?
to move up in a draft is expensive, I mean EXPENSIVE... example. If the Wild wanted to move up to the #5 pick last year, just a few slots, it would have costs a 2nd round pick and a prospect like the ones we are now known for....

Assume this season we will compete for a playoff spot. We could fall anywhere between 12-30 in the first round of the draft this year (my guess). More likely to be close to the #18-22 range. For us to move up into the top 5 from lets say your potential range of 9-13 (lets say #11) in a deep draft and very top heavy with potential stars, will cost us next years first round pick and our 2nd this year too and a prospect like Larsson, coyle, / or goalie prospect of choice. so it would be a move up 6 spots for same year 2nd round pick, next years first and a prospect... all of this is my best guess but to move up for someone like Jones, mackinnon, drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin will be very expensive. no team will want Heatley for a draft day trade into the top 5 and seto carries weight for trade value but nothing to this degree.. and PMB is gone