View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
It's one thing for Winnipeg to look at getting a WHL team, but the question that needs to be asked before getting all excited about it, is, does the WHL want Winnipeg?

This has been talked about numerous time since the last WHL team ( Winnipeg Warriors ) left in 1984 and each time the talk starts the WHL kind of throws cold water on it. The issue isn't so much that a team in Winnipeg would have tough travel ( Brandon being 2.5 hours away and then another 4 hours to Regina ), but you are making the teams that have to come to Winnipeg have more difficult travel as well. IMO, TNSE would have to do a serious sales job to the WHL to even get them to consider allowing a team in Winnipeg.

It's too bad, but Winnipeg just isn't in a good place geographically to join a bus league. Even if it were possible, joining the NAHL or USHL, which have teams in North Dakota, is still a lot of travel.

We will have to see if this goes anywhere....
Big time......the WHL board have had the full court press on TNSE for some time.

I have come full circle on the idea for a few reasons. first and foremost to YWGinYYZ's post over on the prospects thread he took the wife to see the Colts tonight and with great seats and beer they were still only into the night for $60. WHL is great family and or budget friendly entertainment and that has been gone since the Moose left.

Secondly the SHED can really use the additional 40 dates. ask any of the bar owners close to the arena and they will tell you that they fill before any event that draws in excess of 2000 patrons and I assume they will pull between 4000 to 6000 to WHL hockey in the MTS centre.

Thirdly Calgary, Vancouver, and Edmonton are all proving that the big western cities that sell out their NHL games can carry WHL franchises now and tend to thrive (see attendance post below)

Lastly I would love to see our prospects come through town. kids like Yuen, Lowry, Sutter, Olsen, not to mention up and coming draft prospects. I would definatley make it to a handful of games.

Canadian Hockey League Attendance
1. Quebec Remparts (11,724)
2. Calgary Hitmen (8973)
3. London Knights (8953)
4. Vancouver Giants (6944)
5. Halifax Mooseheads (6608)
6. Ottawa 67s (6507)
7. Spokane Chiefs (6443)
8. Edmonton Oil Kings (6421)
9. Kitchener Rangers (6365)
10. Kelowna Rockets (6082)
11. Portland Winterhawks (6075)