View Single Post
Old
02-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Gagner's an RFA after this season. Do we resign him? In my opinion, we should try and go after Tyler Bozak. You probably won't get a 6'4 220 pound 2nd line centre through free agency, and as much as I like Gagner, I think a player like Bozak fits our top 6 more. 6'1 200 pounds, very good defensively and on the faceoff dot, good along the boards and had 117 hits last year.

Thoughts?
Gagner is equal to or better than Bozak, I also wouldn't say "very" good defensively, he has his moments but nothing that truly stands out.

Gagner is good. If we upgrade on Gagner, it's going to have to be a guy developed in our system who is bigger than just 6'1 or much more skilled. The following players are the clear upgrades on Gagner we need (and likely unattainable)
Bergeron
J.Staal
O'Reilly
M. Richards
Plekanec
Zajac (which would have brought some debate)
Lecavalier
Kesler

There are other guys who would bring debate (think Hanzal, Nielsen, Bozak, Weiss, Filppula etc.) but really, Gagner isn't a bad No.2 C when you really think about it. I think the better issue to bring up is how to improve on Horcoff. If we amnesty Horcoff, a lot of those guys we debate about would be great third line C's, such as:
Bolland
Umberger
Legwand
Nielsen
Couturier
Hanzal
Bozak
Weiss would be more of a 2A